Monday, April 19, 2010

Dakar Day

Dakar is like paradise on earth. With an abomination of a statue (its brand new. please look it up). But, it is 1am so this will be quick: So...I should post more, and trust that I will once training is over and I actually have time to hang out at my site and go use internet sometimes to get work done. But, I think its funny that the extent of my communication with family has been limited to this blog and blog posts thus far : ) I love you all and hope you had good trips to Florida and California and South Carolina!! Talk to you soon!

Oh, also, my hut is awesome. Pictures soon. I have been Soxna Ngome up until now (one of my many new names, one of which is Spraggles)but now I have an official Seereer name for the next two years! Yamma Diome. : ) Short for Mariamma. I like it a lot. Yay.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    My name is Kapono, I'm a teacher from Hawaii and have lived and worked in Senegal on and off for a long time.
    I had a quick question for you. I am working with the guewel tradition project (http://gewel.wordpress.com/) and am doing some research before I am back in Senegal.
    Question: Where is the picture at the top of your blog from? Do you know?
    Thanks,
    Kapono (you can email me if you have time at: kapono@maoliwaa.com)
    Hope Mbour is treating you well.
    You will love Senegal... I hope. I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms. Sarah; aka Yamma Diome! I'm so glad you got your wish of being assigned on the coast! How's the mosquitoes so far. Also, what's your favorite food so far!

    Looking forward to seeing your photos!

    Love you! Aunt Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. lordy that statue is massive. it's like the lion king, but with people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures, have been telling everyone, interested or not, about the great paint job on your hut. You will really leave your mark on that village with 2 years to go....no telling how many more you will paint and bring joy to. Love you lots, your Nana

    ReplyDelete