Sunday, August 1, 2010

Food Babies, Bees, and Aquaculture

Ladies and Gentlemen I am happy to announce that I have become the proud mother of a food baby, which I have named Beignet. I swear Ive gained at least 10 pounds in the past 2 weeks, and am even getting the characteristic Sprague Chin. But, I have to stock up while Im in cities. My village diet of rice and fish only is, by default, an effective weight loss plan of its own. For the past two weeks I have been in Thies where mass amounts of cheap fast food abound. The other night, we all went out in the pouring rain, and sat down at a restaurant. One of my friends and I, the other Sarah, actually, shared a giant Croque Madame, a Massive burger with fries ON it, along with eggs, mayonnaise, cheese, two hamburger patties, etc., two beers, and then finished it all off with an enormous cream filled doughnut. mmmmm. This has become a daily routine, and now I am in Dakar living on an additional, and quite generous, daily allowance, which means even more food. Just for "the glory of Dakar" reference, here is a picture from a Volunteer's balcony in Dakar (only 3rd year extension volunteers get nice apartments in Dakar).






Anyways, after gorging on the doughnut, we went swimming in the restaurant pool in the pouring rain. After swimming, we had to get to the tailor and then back to the center. Rain here means flooded streets, muddy rivers filled with horse and cow manure, as well as upwelling open sewers. Hello Schistosomiasis. While navigating our way through the flood, one of the other volunteers took a blind step into the muddy water, and literally fell up past her waist into a hole. Yuck.

On another note, the other afternoon was one of the best days of my life! I not only took a trip to get some beekeeping training, but also got a ride with another volunteer in the back of a strange little car that looked like a bread truck and did not shut all the way, to check out an aquaculture site. Here are some pictures from the whole day!

These are beehives tucked away in the forest:



And here is a big round of beeswax, which is left over after processing and used to attract bees to new hives. Also, you might notice that I have a haircut. One of the other volunteers cut it around midnight the other day with a pair of scissors in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other. You can't tell here...but its possibly the best haircut Ive ever had!



Anyways, here is another picture from the beekeeping site. I have NO idea what this building actually is, but it looks like the imperial command center on Endor.




Lastly, the aquaculture site was made from an enhanced natural basin, and is used for both fish production and community agriculture.




One last thing, here is a thunderstorm on its way to my site : )

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I think "food baby" is totally relative, as you're looking completely tiny in all your recent photos. So maybe it's more like a "food blastocyst." Not to downplay my excitement over your new arrival, I wish you and Beignet all the best. I'm sure he/she/it is adorable.

    All of your project ideas sound awesome. Connecting your village to the water tower seems like it would be such a huge improvement in daily life for everyone, and also a good way to ingratiate yourself with the village. Also, beekeeping! Maybe if you keep going to the training site, you'll meet some Ewoks. Let me know if you do. I always thought their hang-gliders were awesome.

    I love you bunches. Have a good time in Dakar. Also...I really thought you could drink water during the day in Ramadan. Musa used to do it at Olney. Maybe he was a super lax Muslim...

    Good luck with the fasting, I'm sure you'll get lots of reading and sleeping accomplished.

    ReplyDelete