Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Didn't it Rain.

Rainy season is officially here! While my memories of last rainy season (July-September) are one big blur of long, muggy, hot, itchy, mosquito-ey days, I am super excited for it this time around. I had forgotten about the cold thunderstorms, the beautiful sky before and after a rain, the tadpole puddles, and the drastic transformation of the landscape from a sandy wasteland, to an all-out awesome jungle. There are gorgeous birds everywhere, I don't have to go to the well for water as often, and I can now plant beans, corn, okra, bissap, and moringa in my yard with little to no maintenance required!

Anyways, I've spent the past couple of weeks helping with nutritional gardening seminars in the Kaolack region. I also spent a week visiting another volunteer at her site, which was really fun : ) But, once again, I'll let photos do my talking. Enjoy!

Clouds before a storm:


Weeding the yard with a hand hoe:


The Seereer Delta, amazing saltwater/mangrove swimming spot:


Morgan's hut, and dog, Tiya (which means Peanut):


Gardening tournee:


My closest neighbors, and the awesome French ppl who own a pizza place in Mbour:

No comments:

Post a Comment