Friday, May 7, 2010

My Love for Bugs is Dwindling...

As I wrote that last post, I was sitting on a tiled porch. All of a sudden, my entire body began to sting, and I couldn't make it stop. I stood up, shook out my clothes, slapped my back, and still didn't see anything. After a few minutes of this, I ran home, threw off my clothes, and realized that tiny tiny sugar ants has crawled inside of my shirt and my skirt. I had huge swollen welts all over my body, and my sisters helped me put on hydrocortizone cream before killing the ants that were left. One of the other trainees, Jenny, came in and gave me some benadryl.

Soon after, though, my entire face began to swell up, my body felt really hot, and I was having trouble breathing. I was freaking out because we don't have epi pens, and the Benadryl hadnt kicked in yet. After covering myself in cold cloths and ice (thank god I was in training and in a patron house with a freezer) Jenny called the med office to tell them what happened. I was swelling up more and more, so she ran and bought an inhaler as well as some steroid pills. They worked really well, and everything began to recede, but med still wanted to check in on me.

So, I was carted off to Dakar, and had to say goodbye to my family for the last time in a rush and med induced daze. I am spending the night in the Peace Corps office in Dakar, which I really can't complain about. I had the insight to grab my coffee, laptop, and a lot of money before leaving. So, I spent the evening at trivia night with a ton of current volunteers at the American Club, and am now watching the Office on DVD. It's really nice. Tomorrow I plan on having real coffee and mangoes for breakfast. mmmm mangoes. My body still kind of hurts, but the worst has passed
: )

6 comments:

  1. Sarah, I'm so glad you were able to get the help you needed and that you're feeling better!

    I can relate to tiny ant bites..years ago, I stepped in a red ant hill, didn't know they had crawled up my feet and leg, bit me between the toes and had some nasty welts! Ouch!!!

    We really miss you! I pray for the Lord to continue to watch over you and your group.

    Carly turned 18 on April 15th!!

    Love you! Aunt Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a scary experience! I am so glad that you are okay and enjoying The Office and mangoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god! Although I don't know why you loved bugs in the first place to be honest :P.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sarah,
    I hope you are doing ok. I just read your last report and was really scared but I am glad that you got steroids and some medical attention quick. You were always alergic to caterpillars and bees and now I know ants. Please be careful sitting for long periods of time in Africa o.k. Love you and miss you love MOM Think of you every waking hour and love you. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hon,

    sorry to hear of this misadventure. very impressed with how you handled it. seems like you knew what to do to effectively deal with it and then did that. sounds simple - but not really the norm. as you know, stuff happens in life. it's how you deal with it that matters. always very proud of you and love you very much.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. my dear Sarah, thanks for sharing in your ongoing adventures. Does peanut butter sound better to you now? I love you and let me know what you would like, I'm preparing a pckg.to send you. Take good care of yourself and continue to love, laugh and play and spread your shining light around.

    ReplyDelete