Friday, May 28, 2010

There's Weave in my Millet....

Well! 10 days down...only like 700+ left to go : ) I have spent almost two weeks at site, with absolutely no English or other white people or technology of any kind, and it went surprisingly well! I go back and forth between extreme excitement, total contentment, bewhilderment in regards to what I am doing here, and complete motivation to actually accomplish something. The other day as I set into hacking apart the rock hard ground in my backyard in order to make a garden, it occurred to me that I have absolutely no real-life worries, I can listen to music, make my own schedule, play in the dirt, and collect bugs whenever I please. I get to make mudstoves, read all day, eat infinite mangoes and play with kids. It’s….fantastic in a very uneventful way : )

But generally, I am just trying to get to know everyone in the village, start up some slow projects, and figure out how to get through daily life of greeting everyone, pulling water, surviving the heat, etc. Today is my first “day off.” I came into Mbour with another volunteer, and we’re having a “ten days at site” sleepover party in my backyard! There is absolutely nothing in the entire world that can make you appreciate a cold beer and day at the beach like spending a week in a very hot and very small West African village.

Anyways, I have pictures. These are before and after pictures of my hut (inside and outside). As you may notice…I painted it like Bag End. You know, Bilbo’s house. The funny thing is, everyone here just keeps saying how pretty is and how much they like it, and are asking me to paint their houses the same. So, I drew the same thing on my younger mom’s room, and my sisters went at it with the paints. Heh heh heh. I know it makes me a nerd…but nobody here knows that, so it’s fine : ) Just remember, if sometime in the future you are driving through Senegal and you come across a random village painted entirely like Middle Earth…that’s where I was!

Oh, also, one quick story, the other day I was hanging out with my favorite woman in the village (who, it turns out, is actually from Dakar and leaving soon, much to my chagrin) when I happened to look over right as a little kid picked up a half smoldering manure cake from the fire pit, shoved it into his mouth, and burst out crying. Nobody did anything about that...then moments later a chicken wandered into the same fire pit, and immediately flipped out and bolted away squawking. Then a goat did the same thing, also to no reaction from anyone. Who needs TV anyways?


My Hut, BEFORE:





And After!! : )




Hut Inside, Before:




Hut inside, After!




Mud Stove!




OOK. Thank you for reading, I send you all love and hugs and kisses from Senegal!

8 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah,
    Your hut is awesome! Why do you live in a hut? Do you like living in a hut? I like your story and your pictures. Love:Maggie
    Hey Sarah, Your hut is looks great! No wonder everyone wants one just like it! Aunt Lisa wants to know what happened to the child? We love you! Sheila, Aunt Terry, Aunt Lisa, Maggie, and Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder everyone wants their hut painted, you did a super job, it looks great. So-0-0-0 good to get your news. what is the "mother" thing? big & small? good photos! I'm at Uncle Pete's, Dylan is home from college. Love you lots Sarah and think of you every day! How lucky those folks are to have you in their village! Your Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sissy,
    I think the hut is really great. I read this whole thing to Mom and Dad. It was really long. Please don't write such long blogs because Mom and Dad make me read them out loud.
    I love you and miss you!
    Connor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hon,

    It would be hard to express how very proud I am of you. Great job on the hut - everyone should live in some version of a hobbit hole sometime in their life. only good things can come from that experience. love you. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Sarah! Wow! your hut is a work of art inside and out! I hope you have time to start that bee hive you have always wanted. I'm curious as to what type of veges you intend to plant and which ones thrive the best there.

    We love you and are so proud of you Sarah!

    God Bless!
    Love Aunt Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute painting!! : ) I'm way impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just a random PC-hopeful browsing blogs, and wanted to say that your Bag End is fantastically cool. I love the idea of a Senegalese Hobbiton!

    ReplyDelete