Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Back to the Homestay

I used to be afraid of shots, but not anymore! We all have to get tons of immunizations, so I don't even flinch walking into the little clinic, getting some shots, and going back again a couple of days later.

We don't officially become volunteers until May 14th, assuming we each learn the language and pass some tests before then. Until then, we alternate between being in the training center as a big group, and breaking off into smaller language groups and living with a family in villages. I am living in a tiny village (ie, one store that sells coke, and a lot of sand and cement buildings) with two other girls. My family is really nice, but I cant communicate with them well yet : ) I take bucket baths, garden every morning, take naps, use a squat toilet, come home by dark every night, and hang out with the little kids. It's not exactly exciting, but it's a nice routine.

The training center, however, is like paradise. Real showers, internet, access to good food, tons of people...its wonderful! Yesterday we spent the afternoon learning to make mud stoves, which is messy and a lot of fun. Today we're heading out to our villages for 12 days, which will be kind of a stretch, but good for language practice. I'm also armed with a ton of books just in case. My family likes to dress me up and parade me around. They braided my hair, but I took it out a few days later because it was so itchy. We have tea every day, which is a huge deal here. It's a tiny teapot with 15-20 sugar cubes!! No wonder diabetes is a huge issue here : P We also garden a lot, and huge crowds of kids swarm around to watch us. Being white and doing anything at all is mesmerizing apparently.

One last thing, I bought a djembe from an artisanal market! I am going to start learning this week, and am really excited.

Anyways! That's all for now. I'm trying to upload pictures, so we'll see about that. Happy Easter everyone! I'll be back in touch in a couple of weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Still reading and enjoying your adventure from afar! Have a great couple weeks in the village!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah I loved reading your blog and I will continue to do so. The djembe sounds cool, I googled it cause I had no idea what it was, but I am sure that if Cory saw it, he would say this exactly "OH WOWWWW COOOOOOOL!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Honey,

    Sounds like you are having a wonderful time - and I so enjoyed reading your blog. Glad to see you are having a bit of respite, and good luck in the village.

    We Love You!, Dad, Sheila and Connor
    PS - Bob misses you!

    ReplyDelete