Monday, March 22, 2010

Week One

I’m posting this retroactively-it’s about a week old. I’ll put up real updates soon! But, in the meantime, I am out in a village as of Wednesday with no access to anything but my cell phone, so you should call or text me! I don’t have any phone numbers at all since my phone doesn’t turn on, and I forgot to write them down. Here is my number:

Dial +221771169967
Or if that doesn’t work 011221771169967





Here is the hut where we have most of our classes. It’s called the Disco Hut. After working at the Discovery (disco) Center in Colorado, I can’t help but think of it as the discovery hut : )

Each new group of volunteers here is called a stage, and each one develops their own reputation. Last night we all went out to a speakeasy where we sat on the roof. Some of the current volunteers christened our group by launching a firework over the rooftops of thies while shouting “SUPER STAGE!!!!” To understand the significance of this, it’s important to know that past stages have been known as the lame stage, the prude/ugly/drunk stage, etc. So….it’s exciting. However, tonight they informed us that we’re “kind of like summer camp which is a little frightening and a little awesome.” It’s true. We are almost entirely girls (37) and many of the 14 total guys are gay. Practically everyone has worked as a camp counselor before, and we all talk nonstop, play games, and maintain an exhausting but fun level of energy.

Today a few of us were standing next to a group of Senegalese staff, commiserating over our language inabilities, while trying to pick up any scraps of understanding from their conversation. After giving up totally, we ad libbed using their hand gestures as our sole guide. Here is how the conversation was interpreted:

“I lost my Car off the road”
“Your tire was flat? You had to change it?”
“Yes, while my car was in a ditch.”
“There was a goat?”
“Yes. It was dead. I hit it”
“Why would you hit the goat, it was dead. You did not need to.”
“It was weak, why would I not?
“I am going to bake a cake tonight”

We may never know what actually happened. Im guessing they were standing around making fun of us since they all speak English fluently.


Today we found out which languages we will be learning, since there are 5 (I think) different languages spoken in Senegal. About 80% speak Wolof, and the educated language is French. I was assigned Seereer, which has one of the smallest regions. There are only three of us, so it’s pretty limited where my site will be. It’s exciting because the two possible choices sound pretty incredible! We don’t find out about sites for a couple of months still. Speaking Seereer means that I’ll probably be in a wetland or mangrove area. Im hoping near the coast, but we’ll see. There are a lot of volunteers around Kaolack, with an awesome regional hose, so I don’t feel like I’ll be far from community. Anyways, speaking French again feels like reuniting with an old friend. Since the three of us learning Seereer all speak French, it’s what our classes are taught in. We learn on a chalkboard in a little cement hut : )

We also got bikes yesterday, and they are BRAND NEW. I am going to bike all over the place. Unless I live in a pit of sand, which is possible.

OK, new pictures are up! Check them out. There is a lot to say, but im not remembering anything right now. We played mafia until 1am or so last night, and were all gossiping about possible languages we could be assigned after someone discovered a “top secret” list. We’re like little kids. A bunch of us also just did laundry for the first time by hand, and im pretty sure my clothes have dried into a cake of soap. Oh well.

More to come on this, but I think my time at the Bug Zoo and love for all arthropods in general is going to be a HUGE part of my service here. My mind is already racing with ideas involving bees and praying mantids and….stuff : )

One last thing….there is another girl named Sarah here. She is also from Michigan. She also has a compass rose tattoo. She also brought Apples to Apples. She is also doing environmental education with Peace Corps here in Senegal.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's all in the name...sarah's rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, my name is Garrison Harward and I am about to head to Senegal for Staging in August. I was wondering if I might be able to trouble you with some questions about cell service. Firstly how is it? Is it possible to bring a smart phone like an iPhone from the states? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete