Friday, March 12, 2010

Manure Pants

I'll keep this short since my battery is running low and I have yet to navigate buying an adapter. The flight to Senegal was great, with lots of movies, free champagne, and talking with everyone. I didn't manage to sleep, though, so the first day here was pretty rough. We had language tests, met the staff, and had an amazing nap period followed by lunch. Meals are served in huge communal bowls and we sit on mats on the floor to eat them. The training center here in Thies is pretty much SenegAmerica. They're easing us in and its fantastic.

The weather has been gorgeous and I haven't had any sunburns yet, we've all been lying around playing games, playing volleyball, singing and dancing, and walking around in total awe of this place. There are birds, lizards, frogs, bats, beetles, etc. everywhere. It reminds me of the Big Island a little bit. Until we left the training center, that is : ) we followed current volunteers out to a restaurant, and on the way I saw many dead fish, a dead dog, and a squashed egret on the side of the road. One good reason not to wear flip flops! Besides that, though, everything is insanely exciting. I can't wait to learn the language and be able to navigate my way through this world. Everyone seems so happy and lively, and all sit around talking with one another.

Anyways, logisitically, this morning we got up at 6:30 for a yoga session, had breakfast, followed by a speech from the Country Director and an intro to our homestays (on Monday we move into a community with some other volunteers to learn the language for two months). After that we went straight to lunch, and then to a tree planting talk, followed by digging seed beds to plant tomorrow, and then we had about one second to wash hands and put on non-manure-covered clothes to go into town. Then it was dinner time, now I am writing my blog, and a bunch of people are going out and I may or may not have the energy. we'll see.

So! Pictures will come soon. I have NOO idea how often I will be on here in the near future. Send me emails or letters or anything and it would be amazing. I love and miss you all and am so excited for this whole experience!

PS-No toilet paper for two years, I just learned this. I guess I never thought about it before leaving the states : )

6 comments:

  1. Wow - so amazing to think that you are a world away, embarking on an incredible adventure! Loved reading the post and so glad to hear that you are loving the experience so far!

    Oh - and no TP for two years - does that mean no eating with the left hand? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to get so buff. Manure pants is totally going to be your new nickname. It's super catchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you arrived safe and sound and sounds like you are having a glorious journey already! Post your address so we can send "care packages" of toilet paper and peanut butter and whatever else is needed! Note to anyone that may want to send the TP...take out the cardboard center and squash them to save space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sarah, glad to hear you arrived safely and are enjoying yourself so far, it sounds so exciting! I look forward to following you adventures, Vicki x

    ReplyDelete